The preparation of your vehicle is important step for a smooth, damage free and on time transportation. If you don’t properly prepare your vehicle for the transport process, it could end up costing you (in the form of preventable damage to the vehicle) and time (if the driver is delayed due to lack of preparation).
Preparing your car for the trip doesn’t require much time or any money. Some guidelines to follow for safe car shipping:
- A clean vehicle is very important.Your vehicle must be clean enough so that the physical inspection can be performed thoroughly on the day of shipping. A simple drive-thru wash or a quick at home car wash is sufficient enough. Just so the body of the vehicle is easily visible for the driver’s inspection and markings can be done. A dirty vehicle decreases the ability to perform a quality inspection.
- A full inspection will be performed prior to shipment. You or a designated representative must be present for the inspection and will be required to sign the Bill of lading; the Bill of lading will be received both at the point of pickup and at the vehicle’s delivery. It is in your best interest that you are at this inspection yourself. Any discrepancies on the Bill of lading upon delivery must be marked on the Bill of lading and signed.
- Personal Items: Do not leave or transport anything valuable in your vehicle. Unlimited Auto Trans LLC or its agents are not responsible for anything left inside your car (for example- personal belongings, household goods, etc.) Radios, cassette decks, or CD players not built-in,car phones and garage door openers must be removed. The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) prohibits the carrying of personal items on a truck licensed only for carrying automobiles. Any items left in the vehicle are subject to removal upon inspection at state lines by the DOT. Personal items will not be insured if they are damaged or reported missing.
- Keys: U.S. Department of Transportation requires that one set of ALL keys for the vehicle must be provided to the carrier.
- Battery: Your battery must be secure in the mounting bracket. The vehicle must have no obvious fluid leaks.
- Antennas: Antennas must be lowered or removed.
- Alarms: Alarms must be disconnected, disabled, or turned off for transport. If there are special instructions required to start a car in order to disarm the alarm, please inform your driver picking up your car.
- Racks: Remove any luggage, bike, or ski racks that are not permanently attached to the car.
- Cracked Glass: Should the vehicle glass have a nick, scratch, chip, crack, or other imperfection, Unlimited Auto Trans LLC or its agents will not be responsible for damage caused by any pre-existing condition.
- Climate: Make sure your car is prepared for any climate. Replenish coolants, transmission oil, antifreeze and other fluids, as needed. Unlimited Auto Trans LLC is not responsible for preventable damage caused by Acts of Nature.
- Spoilers: Spoilers, fairing, air dams or other low hanging items should be removed, or sufficient clearance assured, to expedite loading on the rail and truck ramps.
- Gas tank: The gas tank must have a minimum of (1/8) tank of fuel, but no more than (1/2) tank of fuel.
- Other: All exterior spare tire covers, grill covers, or car covers must be removed. Plants and hazardous materials are forbidden by law to be transported.
- Locations: Make sure that both your pickup and drop off locations is tractor trailer accessible. If they are not accessible by the truck then the customer/driver will suggest the closest meeting point to load or unload the vehicle (parking lot, shopping center,etc).
- Pickup/Delivery Times: Be sure that you have chosen locations that allow someone to be present between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. seven days a week.
- Contact Times: Be sure contact persons are available by phone between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and be sure that the phone numbers you provide are direct lines to those persons. Cell phones are usually the best. Pagers or voice mail numbers cannot be accepted.